Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Free tax prep and e-file for low or moderate income, disabled & elderly to help keep more hard-earned dollars in their pockets. There is no cost to clients, volunteers are IRS cerified and every return is quality reviewed.
Indiana Automatic Taxpayer Refunds (2022) Those who did not qualify for the $125 ATR but qualify for the $200 ATR must file a 2022 Indiana resident tax return to claim the $200 ATR as a tax credit, even if they do not normally file a tax return due to their income. For more info see bottom of this page
Our VITA Program provides free tax preparation assistance by IRS-certified volunteers, including free e-file.
(both Federal & State returns)
For 2023 (2022 tax returns):
- income $60,000 or less, or
you are 60 years old & older or
have a disability or
speak limited English
Customer Portal | Portal Link | User Guide
Your secure customer portal allows you to check the status of your return, upload any missing documents, communicate with your preparers, and review and sign your finished return from a phone, tablet or computer.
We serve clients by appointment only, currently thru our drive up window. We will review your intake forms and documents, and ask questions. Your documents will be scanned and returned to you along with a USB Drive that contains your scanned documents. A volunteer preparer will access the scanned documents to complete your income tax return, and contact you with questions. A quality reviewer will review your return and scanned documents and, and contact you to go over it. You will view and e-sign the return in your Customer Portal. You will have a signed electronic copy in your portal. We strongly urge you to save the signed the file on the USB drive we give you during intake, so you have all your tax records for the year saved in the same place. After you sign electronically we can e-file your return.
WHAT DO I NEED?
- Schedule an appointment.
- Proof of identification (Government Issued Photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse & all dependents (An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted if you do not have a Social Security number.)
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit (voided check).
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and all dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements from all employers and unemployment compensation (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-G, 1099-NEC, 1099-Misc. etc)
- Interest & dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All letters or communications from the IRS or Indiana DOR
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
- A copy of last year’s federal & state returns, if available
- To e-file a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign
- All Forms 1095 Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Total amount paid for rent and landlord’s name and address
- Total amount of Property Tax paid (Look up here)
- These three forms can be printed and filled out in advance to speed up your appointment:
Appointment- Intakes are done by appointment only. Bring all required ID's, Social Security Card and documents with you at the time of your appointment. When only one volunteer is available appointments will be through our Drive Thru window. When more volunteers are available onsite, appointments will be inside the building.
Email address- your email address will be used to confirm your appointment and provide intake forms in advance, information and updates. You can get a free email address from google or yahoo
We will give clients one USB drive per return, while supplies last. Your scanned documents will be saved on it, we strongly urge you to save your tax return on this USB after you have e-signed it. Keep this and the tax documents in your envelope, in a secure place as these contain your personal information.
If you dont have a computer, tablet or phone: The Jennings County Public Library has public computers and offers basic computer assistance. They will also help you set up a free email address if you do not have one. Printed pages are 10 cents each at the library.
VITA Program direct #
NOTE: the VITA site is not open daily-you must leave a message!
We can not answer tax questions over the phone.
The best way to schedule a VITA appointment is online.
After your appointment, the best way contact us about your return is through your secure Customer Portal. (Customer Portal Guide)
| Client Info | Volunteer Home | Step by Step to Certify | FAQS | Program Report |
More Information about the Indiana Automatic Taxpayer Reunds (2022)
Those who did not qualify for the $125 ATR but qualify for the $200 ATR must file a 2022 Indiana resident tax return to claim the $200 ATR as a tax credit, even if they do not normally file a tax return due to their income.
$200 Additional Refund 10/26/2022
Only those taxpayers who were eligible to receive the initial $125 Automatic Taxpayer Refund (ATR) received the additional $200 ATR (Sept/Oct 2022) as a tax refund payment (either by direct deposit or combined check).
$125 Initial Refund
Indiana residents that filed a 2020 tax return were eligible to receive $125. ($250 if you filed joint.) If banking information was provided on your 2021 tax return Direct Deposit was made between May and July. If no banking information was provided on your 2021 return a paper check was mailed between July and September.
Indiana DOR’s Automatic Taxpayer Refund Information webpage has information on resolving issues surrounding payments such as a deceased taxpayer, damaged or destroyed checks, address changes, and more. In many cases, issues can be resolved without contacting DOR or the Auditor of State’s Office.
2023 VITA site
Jan 24 - April 12
Sign up for our eNews for updates.
Schedule an appointment
Be sure to see the Checklist on the left.
| Program Report
| Portal Link
| User Guide
Owe? Ways to pay
| Automatic Taxpayer Refund Information
Owe? Ways to pay
| VITA Programs
| About VITA
| Taxpayer Rights
| Your Civil Rights
| Privacy, Confidentiality & Civil Rights
| Publication 17
| Free File: Do your Federal Taxes Free
| Economic Relief Payment Information
| Learn more here
| Worksheet- "Who pays more than half the cost of keeping up a home"