Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Indiana Automatic Taxpayer $200 Refund Update 10/26/2022
Only those taxpayers who were eligible to receive the initial $125 Automatic Taxpayer Refund (ATR) received the additional $200 ATR (Sept/Oct 2022) as a tax refund payment (either by direct deposit or combined check).
Those who did not qualify for the $125 ATR but qualify for the $200 ATR will not receive a tax refund payment in 2022. Instead, they must file a 2022 Indiana resident tax return and claim the ATR as a tax credit. They must file a 2022 state tax return to claim the credit, even if they do not normally file a tax return due to their income. Tax returns for 2022 will not be accepted until mid- to late-January 2023.
Indiana DOR’s Automatic Taxpayer Refund Information webpage has been updated with information on resolving issues surrounding payments such as a deceased taxpayer, damaged or destroyed checks, address changes, and more. In many cases, issues can be resolved without contacting DOR or the Auditor of State’s Office.
About the initial 2022 Indiana $125 Refund:
- Indiana residents that filed a 2020 tax return are eligible to receive $125. ($250 if you filed joint.)
- If banking information was provided on your 2021 tax return - Direct Deposit between May and July.
- If no banking information was provided on your 2021 return - paper check between July and September.
- Please do not call our office to inquire - we cannot check the status of your $125 payment.
Free tax prep and e-file for low income disabled & elderly to help keep more hard-earned dollars in their pockets. There is no cost to clients, volunteers are IRS cerified and every return is quality reviewed.
Customer Portal | Portal Link | User Guide
You will be given a customer portal that you can access securely from a phone, tablet or computer so you can check the status of your return, upload any missing documents, communicate with your preparers, review and sign your finished return. You will recieve a signed electronic copy in your portal. We suggest you backup the file on your computer or a USB drive. After you sign we can e-file your return. Download the Customer Portal User Guide
We serve clients with low contact procedures by appointment at our drive up window. Your documents will be scanned and returned to you. A volunteer preparer will access the scanned documents to complete your income tax return, and contact you with questions. A quality reviewer will review your return and scanned documents and, and contact you to go over it. You will view and sign the return in your Customer Portal.
WHAT DO I NEED?
- Proof of identification (Government Issued Photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse & all dependents (An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted if you do not have a Social Security number.)
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit (voided check).
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and all dependents on the tax return
- Economic Impact Payment- Third EIP payment amount recieved
- Advanced Child Tax Credit Payments- you NEED information the letter
- Letter 6419, 2021 advance CTC, sent in late December 2021
- you can also check the amount in the IRS CTC Update Portal
- Wage and earning statements from all employers and unemployment compensation (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-G, 1099-NEC, 1099-Misc. etc)
- Interest & dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
- A copy of last year’s federal & state returns, if available
- To e-file a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign
- All Forms 1095 Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Total amount paid for rent and landlord’s name and address
- Total amount of Property Tax paid (Look up here)
- These three forms can be printed and filled out in advance to speed up your appointment:
And an appointment. Intakes are done by appointment only through our Drive Thru window. A properly worn a face mask is required. Bring all required ID's, Social Security Card and documents with you at the time of your appointment.
Email address- your email address will be used to confirm your appointment and provide intake forms in advance, information and updates. You can get a free email address from google or yahoo
We will give clients one USB drive per return, while supplies last. Your scanned documents will be saved on it, and you can save your tax return to it after you have e-signed. Keep this and the tax documents in your envelope, in a secure place as these contain your personal information.
If you dont have a computer, tablet or phone: The Jennings County Public Library has public computers and offers basic computer assistance. They will also help you set up a free email address if you do not have one. Printed pages are 10 cents each at the library.
VITA Program direct #
NOTE: the VITA site is not open daily-you must leave a message!
The best way to schedule a VITA appointment is online.
After your appointment, the best way contact us about your return is through your secure Customer Portal. (Customer Portal Guide)
| Client Info | Volunteer Home | Step by Step to Certify | FAQS | Program Report |
2022 VITA site
Jan 19 - April 11
Sign up for our eNewsletter for updates.
| Portal Link
| User Guide
KEEP for taxes:
IRS Letters regarding Advanced Child Tax Payments and Economic Relief (Stimulus) payments
Owe? Ways to pay
Owe? Ways to pay
VITA Free Programs
Economic Relief Payment Information
Free File: Do your Federal Taxes Free
Taxpayer Bill of Rights
Your Civil Rights
Privacy, Confidentiality and Civil Rights – A Public Trust
Are you registered?
Learn more here
Clients who have had their intake appointment can contact us securely through their customer portal.
The best way to make an appointment is online.
The VITA site is not open daily you must leave a message.
We can not answer tax questions over the phone.
Determine who pays "More than half of the Cost of Keeping Up a Home" worksheet